Amazon Prime Day is the second best time of year to bag up some smart home gadgets at great prices. While Black Friday and its various offshoots traditionally offer deeper discounts and broader product options, Prime Day feels strategically placed on the calendar as the ideal buying season for those investing in the smart home. This is especially true when looking for bargains on Amazon Alexa devices or compatible gadgets.
This year Prime members have some good deals on July 12th and 13th on everything from smart thermostats and smart locks to security cameras and smart lights. Plus, if there’s a room in your house that doesn’t already have one, it’s a great time to stock up on a few more Echo speakers.
Here are my picks for the best deals on smart home tech for Amazon’s Prime Day 2022.
The best deals on mesh WiFi routers
When you have a smart home, good WiFi is essential, and a mesh router is often the best solution to any connectivity issues your devices may be having.
- If you don’t need that much speed (or don’t have devices that can use the 6GHz band), you can save $105 on equally powerful devices Eero 6 Plus Dual Band Mesh WiFi 6 Systemwhich can handle speeds of up to one gigabit and sells for $194 for a three-pack (usually $299).
- Surprisingly the Google Nest Wifi mesh system also sees a Prime Day discount; You can get a dual pack of the routers for $141.55, a savings of 53 percent. Amazon is one of the few places you’ll find a double pack with just the routers, which, unlike the “dots” in the Google Nest Wifi system, don’t double as Google Assistant-powered smart speakers. However, the dual-band Wi-Fi 5 routers are the more powerful devices in the system, boasting dual Ethernet ports and threaded radios. You can string two or three of these together to extend WiFi throughout the home. Read ours Review of the Google Nest Wifi.
The best deals on smart speakers
As this is an Amazon sale, you will find many deals on Amazon Echo devices. For a complete list, see our summary of the best Prime Day deals for Amazon devices, However, if you’re looking for a new smart speaker and/or display, I recommend getting a fourth-gen Echo smart speaker or Echo Show 8 smart display.
- That Echo Show 8 (second generation) is the best Alexa smart display and is available for sale $74.99 ($55 off), a new record low. It’s small enough to fit on a counter or mantel, but big enough to be useful – you can comfortably watch a YouTube video or check your security camera. It also has decent speakers and its 13-megapixel camera is a good device for video calls. Read our review.
- That Fourth Generation Echo is my favorite Amazon smart speaker as it also doubles as a smart home hub and when it will be a matter controller and thread border router The new smart home standard is coming later this year. Now $59.99, you save $40 on the impressive speaker that offers great sound and an attractive spherical design. Read our review.
- The innovative wall mount Echo Show 15 is currently getting a $70 price cut, which brings it down to $179.99 — a decent price for this multitasking digital bulletin board that doubles as a small TV and supports live TV via Sling TV and Hulu with Live TV. It’s also a good companion for a video doorbell or security camera, as it can automatically display a live feed when someone presses your doorbell or activates the motion sensor. Read my full review.
The best smart security camera deals
- Our top pick for the Best Floodlight Camerathe Eufy Floodlight Cam 2 Pro, is selling for $199.99 compared to $299.99. It’s not a head-turner, but it will do a very good job of keeping an eye on your belongings.
- Aqara’s Camera Hub G3 — a smart home hub and indoor security camera in one — is available for $79.99 ($30 off). This is a good price for an excellent pan and tilt camera that works with Amazon Alexa, Google Home and Apple HomeKit (including HomeKit Secure Video) and can serve as a hub for a wide variety of useful smart home gadgets from Aqara.
- Amazon-owned Blink security camera system gets a huge discount Blink Outdoor 3 Camera Kit Retail for $125 off. For only $124.99 you can set up a complete surveillance system around your home if you want. These AA battery powered cameras don’t deliver the best audio and video quality, but they are very versatile and last up to two years on a set of batteries. When you pick one up Blink Sync Module 2 and a USB flash drive, you can also get local storage – so there are no cloud storage fees to pay.
- The indoor version of Blink’s camera is also currently seeing a tidy discount with the wireless Blink indoor kit with three cameras retails for $113.99 instead of $189.99.
- If you want better video quality, broader smart home compatibility, and are willing to spend a little more, this is the EufyCam 2 Pro Wireless Security Camera System is down from $369.99 for a two-pack to $240. These outdoor cameras feature people detection, work with Alexa, HomeKit, and Google Home, and have a battery life of up to a year on a single charge. Thanks to the included HomeBase 2 for storing your recordings locally, there are no subscription fees.
The best deals on smart video doorbells
- Blink offers a very good deal Blink full video doorbell systemmy choice for that best budget video doorbell. It only costs $50.98 (usually $85). The full system comes with a Sync Module 2 for local video storage and if you can connect this battery powered doorbell to doorbell wire it will also sound your indoor chime.
- That Ring video doorbell 4the company’s flagship battery-powered doorbell and our top pick for a wireless video doorbell, is on sale now for $169.99 ($50 off).
- If you want a battery powered doorbell that can see everything on your front door, top to bottom and side to side, this is it Eufy Dual with HomeBase has dropped from $259.99 to $179.99. The trick of this doorbell is to have two cameras, one facing the ground and the other facing the visitor. read my full review of the Eufy Dual.
- The excellent, albeit aging, Google Nest Doorbell (Wired) gets $81 off Prime Day, and you can pick up this wired video doorbell for $148. It’s the only video doorbell that can record 24/7 (with a subscription fee), and it makes my list of the best video doorbells.
The best deals on smart robot vacuums
The best deals on smart thermostats
- Amazon is cheap Intelligent thermostat, which can do almost everything its pricier rivals can, is at a new all-time low on Prime Day and retails at just $41.99. With a feature called “Hunches” to control your climate, the thermostat can intelligently schedule you and detect when you leave the house, and turn back a few degrees to save some energy. Read my review.
- That new Google Nest thermostatthis is not as good as the old one Google Nest Learning Thermostat but is a lot more affordable and a decent option for Google Home households, also sees a Prime Day discount. Right now you can pick it up for $89.99 instead of $129.99. Read our review.
More great deals on smart home gear
- The excellent and reliable Fourth Generation August Wi-Fi Smart Lock has dropped to $149.99 (normally $229). It comes through his quite expensive batteries but at a fast pace, so factor those costs into those savings.
- Philips Hue, one of the best intelligent lighting systemsis offering a great deal on a number of its white and colored LED smart bulbsthat work with or without a Hue Bridge. A three-pack is currently on sale for $79.99, up from $134.99, a savings of over 40 percent.
- Another good smart lighting option is the Kasa outdoor smart dimmer plug, which is currently selling for $16.99 with the on-page coupon (usually $30). One of the few outdoor plugs that also dims is a good option to make outdoor lighting like fairy lights smarter.
- The new Aqara curtain driver E1 – what your turns Curtains into automated smart window coverings — is receiving a 20 percent discount today, respectfully bringing the price of the Track and Rod versions down to $71.99 and $79.99, respectively.
- Furbo’s new rotator 360 degree dog camera is available for only $147 compared to $210 if you need a treat-waving camera that can follow your pet and take selfies for you when they face the camera.