After some earlier teasing, Rockstar today announced the Criminal Enterprises update for Grand Theft Auto Online will be released on July 26th. This upcoming free update seems to be one of the biggest the game has ever received, with numerous changes, improvements and business expansions.
Rumors and clues followRockstar has finally started sharing details GTA Online‘s big summer update. But there is bad news for people living in the digital world of GTA Online as intense heat waves and rising fuel prices will make life even more miserable. Luckily for all online lawbreakers out there, this presents some new criminal opportunities, as well as a chance to help the government take some down Miscellaneous Villains via a new set of in-game missions.
As part of this Criminal Enterprises update, Rockstar is adding a new set of missions that players have cooperate again with the IAA (GTA’s goes up against the CIA) as an off-the-book agent to help take down an “infamous oil-rich dynasty” in Los Santos that’s benefiting from the heat and soaring prices.
But that’s just part of this massive upcoming update. Today’s blog post shares details about the updateRockstar explained that every store in the game in GTA Online is expanding and giving players more opportunities to earn more money. For example, biker bars will now fill up with customers and players can complete missions to keep the booze and money going. Even better, it sounds like all of these extensions are free.
While I’ve enjoyed some of the deals Rockstar has added to the game over the years, it’s nice to see the developers going back and expanding on the legacy content rather than just cramming yet another deal into the mix.
However, for longtime players, the most exciting changes and tweaks coming in this next big patch are all the small quality of life improvements.
Rockstar promises there will be a faster way to get your snacks, which would make it easier to heal during a gunfight. Also coming: Nerfs to the Infamous and Annoying Oppressor Mk. 2 armed jet bikewho has long ruled the sky GTA Online and caused many players to quit out of anger. Another small but massive change is that all business activities, including sell missions, will soon be fully playable in private sessions. This has been requested by fans for years and it’s nice to see it finally happening. Rockstar is also increasing payouts for legacy heists, races, and adversary modes, and increasing staff and bodyguard compensation as well.
All in all, this update is exactly what GTA Online needs. After years and years of Rockstar cramming more and more into the game, often not resorting to tweaking or improving things after the fact, it’s nice to see an update that’s mostly focused on expanding on old content, and at the same time Adds fan-requested features and changes.
Update: 07/22/22: After yesterday’s announcement that The Criminal Enterprises update is coming GTA OnlineRockstar Games has shared more information on some of the quality of life changes and tweaks to the long-running open-world game.
The full blog post on Rockstar’s website contains a full list of changes. It is a long list, but here are some changes I noticed:
- Players can now purchase maximum ammo for all weapons at once through the interaction menu. Additionally, players can easily access snacks and armor via hotkeys that are active when the weapon wheel is up.
- Oh, and if you die during a mission, Rockstar will refill your snacks to what you had before, making tricky missions easier to retry, especially if you’re playing solo.
- On PC, you can disable the in-game chat box.
- Rockstar is finally letting players go jogging instead of just going to the casino and nightclubs.
- You can now own 10 lots in-game, increasing your total garage space by up to 20 vehicles. I don’t like owning that much stuff, but for collectors out there, it’s a big deal.
- To combat pesky griefers, kills in freemode no longer affect your K/D stats.
- And if someone attacks you outdoors in an armed vehicle and you fight back, you won’t be charged a demolition fee if you successfully blow up your attacker.
- The in-game race creator tool will be greatly expanded, allowing players to add more checkpoints and props, increase the number of players in some races, and more.
Rockstar says these changes came directly from fan feedback, which I believe. Many of these changes have been requested by fans for years. Although there are still many things that can be changed and improved GTA Onlinethis upcoming update will go a long way in making the game feel sleeker, more modern, and more fun.
All of this and more goes live when the Criminal Enterprises Update will be released on July 26th on all platforms.